Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Trapped in a Series of Long Distance Friendships


This is a blog post that is long overdue, seeing as I've been living in Hawaii for more then two months now. But I also think it's an important one for me to write before I move on to writing about my chapter of life on this exotic island; if for no other reason than to give me some sort of clarity and to express my gratitude for the people in my life who have come, gone, and stayed.

All summer long I was a sentimental wreck leafing through memories of the past with trembling fingers and trying to hold on tight to the people who are important to me.
I think it might be a natural human tendency-to hold on.
I also think it's okay to do so - as long as it doesn't interfere with the whole living part of life, you know?

That's what I miss the most about home you see.
It's not a feeling of comfort and it's definitely not safety, but I miss that elusive, indefinable web that weaves everyone together. That intricate web creates a state I like to call "the opposite of loneliness," and this is a state human nature has us craving and fighting for.

This feeling can be found anywhere, and I'm gradually finding it here in Hawaii, but there is just something so special about the people who surrounded me back in Utah.
I'm one of the lucky ones. I have an incredible circle of friends.


Friendship is such an underrated thing, and I can't think of anything more beautiful and important than the bonds created by people throughout life. So in honor of all of the important friendships I have, I made a list of the most important qualities of friendship I've noticed in my interactions with people.

Before I start though, its important to note that everyone deserves to have friends who possess these qualities, and if you haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone who has touched you in these ways yet, it's okay because the really beautiful thing is friendship is unexpected, it's never too late, and it can happen anywhere, and to anyone. So don't give up because you might just meet your soul-friend tomorrow in that obscure vintage store no one else seems to like, or perhaps in the line at McDonalds at 9:24 in the morning.

The Inspired Believer: 
Illusive and wild as they may be, they are your number one cheerleader.
They believe in you and support your every hope and dream.
This is the friend who paints pictures with words and makes you feel like anything is possible.

The Mind Speaker: 
Everyone needs a friend like this.
Someone to be blunt and say things like they are.
This is the friend who may come across as harsh, but it's only because they have your best interests at heart.

The Fearless:
This is the friend who flirts with danger.
She'll try everything once, and challenge you to face every fear.
It can be uncomfortable perhaps, but this is the friendship where personal growth is honed.

The Idealist: 
Ever the optimist.
This is the friend who will help you find the pretty parts in difficult things and difficult people.
Most importantly though, they'll help you to see the good in yourself.

The Comforter: 
She is relaxed and moves in a manner that rivals a summers day stillness.
This is the friend to calm the hecticness that creeps into life.
She is peaceful and will help you to find clarity in simplicity.

The Wild and Free: 
This friend is enthusiastic like the wind. They never do anything halfway, and they begin things with the special fierceness of a wild thing.
They don't sit stationary, they practically thrum with life, and they will help you to do the same.


The Welcomer: 
This is the friend who accepts everyone for exactly who they are.
Flaws and shortcomings have no meaning to her.
She makes everyone around her feel accepted, comfortable, and safe.

The Comedian:
This is the friend who will find a way to make you smile even when you think you feel nothing.
They have an unrivaled sense of humor and will shed light on every situation.
The Listener: 
This is the friend who is sincerely interested in you and knows you like no one else.
He lets you speak uninterrupted, and when he does speak, this is the friend who asks the real questions. This is the friend who will always believe in you.

The Unconditional Lover:
This is the friend who probably gets screwed over a lot, but isn't too worried about it.
This person loves and loves and will always care about you. Especially in the moments you     need it most.



These are just some of the important types of friends I've had in the past. Most of my friends possess more than one of these qualities, but each completely embody one in particular.
I really got so lucky in the friend department. I've made so many important relationships, and I've learned that friendship isn't talking to someone every day. Friendship is a sense of unity, mutual compassion, and unconditional love.

Actually to my friend's future family members, friends, roommates, and spouses, I have only one thing to say to you; take care of them, because in the words of Fitzgerald, "They are the finest, loveliest, tenderest, most beautiful people I have ever known, but even that is an understatement."

No comments:

Post a Comment